Another Welsh Report of Whitecloud

After the previous article was reported in the Welsh newspaper, Humphrey Hughes writes in to tell of his own encounter with Benjamin Moses Mordecai, dated March 12, 1845.
The translation reads: 

-------


"MR. EDITOR, - Please be pleased to announce the following wedding, which I received from Mr. O 's mouth. Evan Pugh, Ienal, Remsen, the 14 Feb. 1845. I believe it to be true.

13 years ago, (says Mr. Pugh,) I was aboard an emigrant ship on Lake Erie, which happened to have some Welshmen, and one other Indian preacher aboard. On a charming evening

it turned out that we the Welsh were drawn together and spoke Welsh.

 

One of us says, "Isn't the moon shining brightly tonight?" 

"Isn't the moon shining brightly tonight?" Was what the Indian overheard.

 

“Lleuad! moon! "he says," I know of a tribe of Indians that call the moon “lleuad.” 

 

Then we approached him to enquire and he recited several perfect Welsh words, saying their meaning, which Mr. Pugh has now forgotten; but he remembers saying, "Water they call, Dwr." 

 

He was asked if he knew where they were. “I know, says he, I was among them.” He shares the history he gave us of distant relations, with the history which the Indian gives recently to Mr. J. T. Roberts in Chicago, recently published in the Missionary.  He asked him if he would lead men there, if he could. "I have transgressed laws against them, (says he,) for that I dare not appear" 

 

Humphrey Hughes, 96 Remson

March 12, 1845